Offshore sailing is always an interesting adventure for most boat enthusiasts. However, sea sickness often becomes a problem in these adventures. Whether it’s an individual offshore sailing experience or a crew, it’s possible to combat seasickness throughout the journey. Here are some useful tips to prevent and overcome seasickness.
Before going on the sailing trip, it’s important to bring along motion sickness pills. Everybody on board who is susceptible to sea sickness should take a pill before the adventure gets rough. For those who are not sure which motion sickness pills to buy, here is some useful advice to consider.
• Scopolamine – It’s available as patches that are placed behind the ear. It can only be obtained through a prescription. Beware of common side effects such as dry mouth, double vision or drowsiness. The patches release the drug slowly into the bloodstream to minimize the side effects of sea sickness.
• Motion Ease – It’s a relatively new motion sickness drug on the market. Motion Ease is simply emollient oil that’s rubbed behind the ears. So far, it has been used by various sailing enthusiasts who suffer from sea sickness with surprising results.
Avoiding Sea Sickness
Besides the drugs mentioned above, some wristbands have been approved for minimizing the effects of sea sickness. They come with a button that applies pressure between the wrist and the tendon. It’s one of the best drug-free solutions currently available. Below are other useful ways of avoiding sea sickness.
• Avoid taking excessive alcohol before departing on a boat in the morning. The hangovers will make the whole experience terrible.
• Greasy foods might be delicious, but they can bring about terrible sea sickness. That’s because the motion sickness is often caused by indigestion brought out by unhealthy foods. Therefore, it’s prudent to take healthy foods before going on a sailing trip.
• Take Pepsi or Coke before going for a sailing adventure. The two drinks contain phosphoric acid, a common ingredient found in Emetrol, that controls motion sickness.
• When sailing, avoid staying below deck when feeling sea sick. Rather, stay on the top deck and enjoy the fresh air. With a clear view of the horizon, it’s easy to maintain the equilibrium and avoid getting sea sick.
• When going to sleep, always sleep on the back rather than the stomach. That way, it doesn’t bounce around because of the motion effect of the vessel on water thus causing sea sickness.
• Many individuals often experience sea sickness if the balancing mechanism in their ears doesn’t work regularly. Therefore, before going on a sailing trip, it’s important to get the ears cleaned to keep the balance standard.
• Finally, it’s important to keep busy while on deck. When idle, it’s common to experience all the effects of sea sickness, especially when watching the vessel move around in the water.
In conclusion, many offshore sailors often experience sea sickness, regardless of their experience on the water. However, with these amazing methods, it’s easy to overcome it and enjoy the best sailing adventure.